Thread: I'm ok
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gabe1980

I'm not in any position to say one way or another CM. One thing I can tell you is that I went on a family holiday (just to the west coast of Scotland) for ten days because I felt like I couldn't cancel.

I'd been sober two weeks. Anna (very wisely) warned me but I was adament I wanted to go I was actually a bit miffed at the implication that I might not be able to manage, that it was ok to let my family down by cancelling, that I was not prioritising my recovery (sorry Anna!). I was determined and said so in my responses.

I stayed sober for the holiday but relapsed the day I got home. I had been holding on so strongly when away that I didn't understand that my vulnerable point was when I had 'made it' and could relax a bit.

I did the same after Christmas. Made it through a week with family then relapsed the day they left. It's a tough lesson learned. Sometimes we take our eye of the ball and fall.

If you are going I hope you have an amazing, sober holiday. Just remember to watch yourself when you get home. It may be that this is the time you are most vulnerable but don't realise it until it's too late. Gabe x