View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stella517

Leaving an alcoholic but was I wrong?

I dated a guy for 8 months. He was amazing, we clicked right away and I was very happy. Our first date was drinks. I admit I like going for drinks. The date went well and we both had a lot to drink. I didn't think anything of it. We kept dating and we would go for drinks but he would drink a lot. I just thought he was one of the guys that can hold his tolerance..
Months pass and we continue to date. He works overnight shift so he doesn't sleep at a normal time which didn't bother me. When I would stay the night I would go ahead to bed and he would stay up drinking. This was fine for a bit but then he started picking arguments with me when he'd come to bed drunk. He'd criticize me always. After a while I learned to not talk back when he tries to argue with me when he's drunk because no matter what I said he'd disregard it and not listen.
Then I noticed he would be drunk a lot of times during the week. He'd stay home, drink and then get drunk. I don't know if he was aware he'd get drunk but then he would be. I then noticed the bottles. They were a lot. He could finish almost 2 x 750ml and not including the beer and wine and any drinks when he'd go out. This concerned me but I thought he was just one of those guys and I thought he had things under control.
As our relationship went on it would get rocky. I've seen him absolutely drunk about 4x to the point he can hardly stand. He blacked out 3x that I know of. Whenever he'd drink it's the same thing, he'd start criticizing me, saying mean things, putting me down and be short tempered. I felt terrible but I would always remind myself of what a great guy he was. But the mean words kept coming.
After a while he noticed I wouldn't be happy when he was drunk and he'd ask me if I'm mad? I learned to say "no" because then he'd go into a spiral being upset that I said anything. One time I had enough and made it clear I was not happy with him being drunk. His reaction was to break up with me since I wasn't happy. And this was his solution, not even up give up the alcohol. He did apologize for his attitude and said he'll try to be better but I noticed no change.
I finally broke up with him when I couldn't take his mean words. He'd call me a "bitch" or bring me down about things he thinks I don't do. He also got so drunk he could barely walk, I had to carry him. When I told him that he needed to apologize for being dunk he got offensive. Saying he feels bad, that he feels bad enough and not for me to talk about it. He gets really sensitive when his drinking is involved.
I finally left him after a fight any I knew he was drunk. He started saying mean things. But now I don't know if it was the right idea. I started thinking that maybe I'm overreacting on his drinking? We had good times so he should be good. He'll change like he said he would.
I don't know if I made the right choice? Or if I'm right. I feel like he is an alcoholic but I don't know. But why do I feel guilty?? Should I have stocked it out? I'm unsure of my actions now.