View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ladybird579

For those who have divorced or are in process, I would love to hear about how you handled it and your experience if you are willing to share.

I was separated but in the same house with my exah for a few years. I wouldn't recommend it as it was a terrible time for our kids and both of us. By the time we actually split to separate places it was open warfare. I assumed he would handle things well but he never. Be aware that once the gloves are off your ex may do things and say things you never imagined. Mine manipulated the situation to his own ends, alienated some of my adult daughters, and ended up with everything, including the marital home I had bought outright before I even met him, so I'd say get a very good lawyer and assume ex will be hostile even if he isn't. Please do not let him keep the cats. I did this and my ex nearly starved them to death. My daughter and I had to go in and retrieve them when he was passed out drunk. Fortunately she still had a key to the house but if she hadn't I'd have had no way of rescuing them or even knowing they were not being cared for. He didn't notice they were missing for a month. I handled it by walking away but in retrospect I wish I'd fought harder for what was rightfully mine. He sold the marital home and used all the spare equity on drink and endless rehabs that haven't worked. I have two adult sons living with me in rented and one is severally autistic and he has no security at all now. My own health isn't great and I am getting on a bit so unlikely to met anyone else..not that am intersted tbh.

Try not to worry how things impact him cos believe me he isn't going to care how they impact you.