View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sleepyhollo

I'm sorry you find yourself back where you were a few years ago with your husband drinking again. I think you more than likely know that you haven't done anything to let it go this far because you have no control over what your husband does with his drinking. I do get it though. My H ha dsropped many times before and was sober (but a dry drunk since he never sought any kind of help and just quit on his own) for a year when he restarted again almost 2.5 years ago. At that point I decided I was going to let it take its natural course and see where it would go. I figured if I confronted him he would more than likely stop again on his own only for him to start drinking again after a while and that obviously had not worked in the past. I did struggle with the decision somewhat after I finally confronted him 15 months ago but I know nothing was really gonna change unless things got really bad. He has said before that he knew he could no longer drink but somehow forgot about that again later on. I don't think he would've gotten serious about getting help if I had spoken up before. He did get help and has been 15 months sober and has changed a lot for the better. That said, it took a real toll on the relationship and we are still struggling immensely. I often wished he had take it seriously 2.5 years ago and sought treatment then, I think things would've been much different for us relationship wise. But there is nothing I could've done to make him get help a that point. And even though I gave him an ultimatum 15 months ago (because I really was done and serious about walking out if he didn't get help and be open about his problem ) he told me later that he did feel he was getting to the point where he felt like he needed to do something.

If your daughter fears for your and hers safety you need to have a plan in place for you. Do you have any friends or family you can stay with for a while until you figure out where to go. And please get help for yourself (alanon and/or indivual therapy) and if you haven't already read codependent no more (or reread it if it has been a while). Being open about it with your friends and family is definitely a plus. My H never drank in front of anyone at home and no one knew about it but me. It was isolating for me because my friends knew something was up but I could never be honest about it . Once it was out in the open it was such a relief to be able to talk about it. I also strongly believe that if it had stayed a secret my H would not have been successful at sobering up. So it being out in the open is a step forward it seems like to me.
Please keep yourself and you daughter safe. I think it speaks volumes that she is worried. Take care of both of you. There is nothing that you can do to make him stop drinking unless he is ready to do it himself (which I'm sure you know since you've been through this before).

Stay strong and take care of you. Hugs