Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tiredwoman

Thinking of telling my mother, and not my father, about by my near sexual assault

So I screwed up yesterday. Ruined 6 days of being sober. Partied with a friend - just the two of us in her apartment. She is also an alcoholic but sees herself ad just a young person having fun. Planned to stay here 3 days and ti bunge drink throughout those 3 days, but this morning, I have opted against it. Gonna go home.

I realise that I need a physical support system so I am gonna summon up the strength to tell my mum and dad about my alcoholism, and the near sexual assault that precitipated this addiction. I will tell both my parents sbout being a boozer, but I am leaning towards only telling my mum about the near sexual assault (I need therapy).

The reason is because I know my dad. He is extremely protective over me - and it will eat him up a lot. He will feel powerless and angry. My mom will also be very upset, I know, but I think she can handle it better.

Thing is I feel like telling her secretly is putting her in a tough spot. She is married to my dad, and I am their child. In my dad's shoes, I wouldn't want my spouse to keep something like that away from me. So part of me is also thinking about telling him at the same time with mum - but I don't want him to lose his mind. He will be devastated I know.

I think firstly tellig my parents about my addiction is the right step. Makes my road to recovery real due to having a physical support system. And I know they will support me a lot.