View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mrrryahj

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
I think the steps work best for people who have hit a low bottom. High functioning alcoholics/addicts have more trouble making the life changes required.
I can very much relate to this. I had been living such an immoral life for such a long time, had destroyed so many relationships, including my family, essentially manipulated stole and lied to everyone I had met for half of my life. I NEEDED the steps and that moral inventory/restitution to make my life better to the point where I could even look myself in the eyes again in the mirror. I felt like I was the worst person alive. A caring sponsor and AA helped me to rebuild my self image and self respect.

Many people drank alone and didn't hurt many others. But the friendship and relationships I have built alone in AA are so worth the attendance, even if you put the steps aside. Having not just sober people in my life but sober people in RECOVERY, who understand my daily struggles (and all of my craziness :P) is one of the best parts of my life today.

That being said - it even says in our textbook, the AA big book, that AA is not the only way and we should not condemn others who seek another path.

I wish you the best of luck - whatever your journey may be!!!