View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KG77

Originally Posted by mumther911 View Post
3 weeks sober. he has also threatened to throw me out if i refuse a breathalyzer.
This raises more questions for me ... a couple that have already been asked...
Where is the breathalyzer? Do you have one in your car from a DUI or voluntarily? (I have one voluntarily because I was known to drink and drive and full disclosure: i had a dwai almost 2 years ago, not with my kids in the car. In my state, DUI you lose your license and have to get the BA installed to get a restricted license, DWAI this is not a requirement as you don't lose enough points to have your license revoked.) or is it a hand held one that was purchased soley for the purpose of "checking on you"?
Along that line... are there children involved who's safety he feels could be at jeopardy? (I have children that I drive frequently, one of the main reasons I agreed to get and keep the BA in my vehicle after the DWAI)

Regardless, threatening to throw you out if you don't submit to a BA doesn't sound fair... if he is done he is done, but then it's time for a discussion about what will happen.
Side note: sometimes things that frustrated spouses THINK will motivate us and "scare" us into getting sober are more a detriment than a help... I speak from experience. We have to get sober because WE are ready to, not to avoid consequences or because they tell us to, or even because they truly want us to.... If we aren't ready no amount of begging or pleading or threatening is going to make us do it. But that doesn't mean that they don't have the RIGHT and reason to be frustrated and fed up with the addiction.