View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
rosiesouls
Gratefully recovering

I try and treat Christmas and New Year like any other day of the year 'just for today'. Last year I was one month into recovery and my body, mind and spirit was in absolutely turmoil - i hadn't realised how dependent on alcohol i actually was. I still managed to really enjoy being present though with my family and my eyes were opened to the reality and truth of love. i had to take myself away for self care almost every hour for an hour because my mind/body/spirit was so painful and i was at the beginning of a long healing process that never ends. But I am so grateful one year on and I can say that this holiday season I have enjoyed being out with friends and not felt any resentments around other people drinking. I do occasionally obsess around how long it takes people to drink but I have a solid step one and I know for me to drink is to die. My plan of action this Christmas is to get to lots of meetings to prepare myself for my family (can be triggery, my own stuff, not theirs) my responsibility to take care of myself. And i will be taking lots of breaks to pray, meditate, check in with other recovering alcoholics and read literature. Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful sober Christmas - enjoy every moment as a gift from your Higher Power and it will be a magical experience.