Thread: First Post
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JohnDoe1220

First Post

I was instructed to submit my first post here, so I will try to give a brief explanation of my situation. I'm 34 and I was recently diagnosed with a precancerous condition, mostly because of about nine years of chronic alcohol abuse. The odds of a precancerous condition progressing to cancerous for my particular disorder is pretty low, but if it does it's a 100% death sentence. Immediately following my diagnosis I did a great job of cleaning up all of my life habits, which resulted in a healthy, drastic shift in all of my serum levels, weight loss and overall well being. But I only managed to maintain this for about three months. As soon as I introduced a significant amount of stress into my life, I began binge drinking every weekend. I have been doing this for the past six months.

I have been telling myself that I will overcome this on my own, but after nearly a decade, that's obviously something that I'm not capable of. I sought out this forum because I know that I'm more likely to put extra effort into something when I make myself accountable to other people. It's easy for me to sabotage myself when I'm depressed, because in those moments, I have little to no concern for my own well being; even if it means potentially developing an irreversible terminal illness. I think that if I dedicate myself to checking in at a place like this, weekly or daily, I would be more likely to refrain from drinking. Sharing my struggle with people dealing with something similar might be the positive step I've been needing to take.

I hope this post isn't too long-winded, and if you made it this far, thank you for reading.