Notices

First Post

Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

I was instructed to submit my first post here, so I will try to give a brief explanation of my situation. I'm 34 and I was recently diagnosed with a precancerous condition, mostly because of about nine years of chronic alcohol abuse. The odds of a precancerous condition progressing to cancerous for my particular disorder is pretty low, but if it does it's a 100% death sentence. Immediately following my diagnosis I did a great job of cleaning up all of my life habits, which resulted in a healthy, drastic shift in all of my serum levels, weight loss and overall well being. But I only managed to maintain this for about three months. As soon as I introduced a significant amount of stress into my life, I began binge drinking every weekend. I have been doing this for the past six months.

I have been telling myself that I will overcome this on my own, but after nearly a decade, that's obviously something that I'm not capable of. I sought out this forum because I know that I'm more likely to put extra effort into something when I make myself accountable to other people. It's easy for me to sabotage myself when I'm depressed, because in those moments, I have little to no concern for my own well being; even if it means potentially developing an irreversible terminal illness. I think that if I dedicate myself to checking in at a place like this, weekly or daily, I would be more likely to refrain from drinking. Sharing my struggle with people dealing with something similar might be the positive step I've been needing to take.

I hope this post isn't too long-winded, and if you made it this far, thank you for reading.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! There's lots of support and useful info here, so use our support to help you get sober for good.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you least

Accepting the fact that I need support was not easy, but necessary. Nothing makes me feel more ridiculous than still waking up with vicious hangovers as a middle-age man, so by comparison, reaching out to other people wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi John. I wished, hoped, and assumed that my drinking would eventually resolve, but it wasn't until I accepted that it was a problem that I started finding ways to resolve it. For me, SR is one of those solutions. Welcome!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JohnDoe

Every one here knows how you feel. Thats the beauty of this community. We are all here for eachother because we all understand how hard it is, and we all figured out we can't do it alone.

So WELCOME!!😁😁
Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also went several years before I sought help. Now that I post here and go to AA (which works for me), I'm getting the help I need. Battling alcohol alone is a losing battle. I'm so glad you joined our group!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome John! I am sorry to hear about your illness. Removing alcohol from your life is one of the best things you can do for your health.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome John - it's great to have you join us. The encouragement & support I found here helped me stop a life long drinking habit. It was on the verge of destroying me. Mostly because I felt all alone & like no one understood. Here, we can talk things over with those who've been through the same thing. You can do this!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm new to this as well, but I just want to welcome you. I'm in my almost third week and feel loads better than I did in week one. It's worth it so far, and I'm told it only gets better.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the support and positive words. I am feeling optimistic about the future.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, JohnDoe. You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.

Stay close.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome John.

I've never needed support for anything. And I genuinely mean ANYTHING - and I have been through the worst kind of stuff imaginable. Could this be another anonymous website weirdo making out he is some tough super hero type that has endured hardships no other has ever faced? Well of course I could be. Be the truth is I have faced some awful c**p and dealt with it all alone. Well correction. I apologise. I dealt with it with my companion Mr Alcohol.

The point of my naval gazing on your thread?

The only thing I have ever sought external help with is giving up alcohol. I just couldn't do it alone. I'm only on day 19 - but I would be on day 2 if is wasn't for the support, understanding and sharing that I get on SR.

I hope that you find SR as supportive and enpowering as I have done?

Regards,

JT
Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Best I managed sober, was 3 days before I found SR.
I'm nearly at 5 months now.
I read and post daily and if I struggle, I come on here and ask for help.
You can do this too John