Old 12-17-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Thanks Gilmer.

Great to see you MB, glad to hear you are feeling better. I have suffered from depression and it is awful.

So, I agree with the pond analogy, but I tend to have the opposite problem, all out nothing in. So my goal for 2018, is to focus more on Drops and less on all of Drops peeps.

I like the analogy to the flight attendant saying that you have to put your oxygen mask on first before helping others, I am all out there for others, but forget myself.

And that has led to my living in a state of constant chaos, work too late, bills too late, overwhelmed etc. But ask me a favour and I am all over it. And I always have to pay for dinner, etc.

But that means I can never relax because of the chaos. So that means I can't do my best even for others because of the mess.

Any advice?
I think MLD nailed it on this past weekender thread that I'm linking below...then I went on to talk about my experience of becoming everyone's helper/fixer. My first recovery in 1989 was because of your problem. I know what a painful place that is, and it does cause depression.

Our physical and emotional resources are finite, Drops.

Skip on over to the "Friends & Family" side of this site - there are lots of great sticky posts. Even if it's not an alcoholic in your family you can still let full grown adults deal with their own problems and issues and not take them on as your own.

This is the OP:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ct-5-11-a.html (Learn to ask for help Weekender Oct. 5-11)