View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

This is definitely the chance to seize!

For me, I was largely drinking alone by the end. I had drifted from my enabling, hard drinking "friends" and old boyfriends. There were people who had been good friends that I had also drifted from, deliberately, so they didn't know how bad it was.

My approach was to keep close company with just my parents, basically, for quite awhile- about 100 days. I was VERY sick when I quit so as I healed, I began to construct a very safe, positive "world" for myself.

I gradually did one on one lunches and dinners with people who had been positive in my life, explaining to some degree or another about my alcoholism. This lasted pretty much through the summer and early fall, till perhaps the new year, as I gradually attended small events. I started dating my now husband at 5 1/2 mo sober - I am at almost 22 mo now.

I went to my first party at 14 mo. My first wedding at 18. I have grown a wonderful and full network of close friends, of program (AA) friends, and acquaintances that I socialize with.

Bottom line- NO ONE gets a seat at my table unless they are trying to live their own best lives, alcoholic or not. I am happy spending time on my own or just with my husband and step daughter, and I am very content overall.

I also gave myself permission early on to do any/all of the following: say no to ANY invitation (even, for ex, Thanksgiving with my parents this year), leave early, and never feel I had to explain my why.

My recovery comes first, over anyone and anything - including the love of my life I just married and actually dated in high school (I am 41) - because with that life, I can have everything.

This is an important topic for me, hence the long description