View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Incontrol15

That was my experience with AA as well. So much desperation in those rooms. I never went to jail, lost my license, killed anyone, etc.

With NA, I just don't hear those stories. Instead I hear of awesome recovery stories and growth.

I think part of it is because NA examines and talks about root behaviors, thought processes, and beliefs almost all the time.

They'll open with a topic like setting expectations, then open the room up for everyone to share. Every person is given the opportunity to speak or pass.

Most speak. And most share their experiences when they were caught up in the issue as well as how much they've learned and grown since working on it.

A couple might be stuck on the issue and just share their frustration with it.

They're more productive IME. I think the best way to put it is I see people who found their issues, worked on them, and have changed / grown as a result and love sharing that.

With AA it seemed most of them put their sobriety in the hands of God and thanked Jesus for not drinking anymore. They seemed to share the nightmare stories as a way to be thankful they are no longer that way.

Whereas NA is thankful for the way they've become based off their own awareness and effort.

Funny you mentioned meditation app. I just started using headspace today. I am exploring new techniques and trying to broaden my experience.

I saw a post from somebody at a different forum that they just achieved 100 days of meditation and shared what they discovered about themselves and life from the experience.

Though I am now meditating often throughout the day by taking 30sec to 5min here and there to be present, I have been irregular on doing a 20 or 30min block. Those blocks of time is where I learn the most.

So today was day 1. 20minutes done.

Headspace is cool because they have meditation packs which focus on areas like health, work, happiness, anxiety, and more. I chose two packs; change, and regret.

Today I started regret. It's a 10 day program. Very interesting.

Something else I doing starting today is huge.... I am going to attend a group meditation and a meditation center.

I saw this place recommended on a different forum. They are world wide. It's kinda like a church with group meditations and individual or small groups available as well. It's called Shambhala Meditation Center. There's one about 1hr from me.

Finally, I am exploring Tia Chi which combines yoga and meditation. It works on the body and mind. Just gotta find one with a schedule I can work with.

I want to expand from Tia Chi down the road and use that field to build my strength and confidence. I think it will be way better than going to the gym and doing my own routine