View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
thanks 2muchpain. After many years of trying to think my way out, going to therapy with lousy results, feeling emotional, angry etc, the least helpful thing to quit drinking is getting into the muck that makes me want to drink, Logic didn't get me into this place and logical thinking ain't going to get me out. There's only one way to the end of jungle trail, one step at a time forward, minimize looking back. Maybe in the clear where it's safe it's time to look back . But for me I'm fed up with looking back - it makes me feel lousy.

tomorrow is gone i can't fix it, i can't change it, today is what i have.

what i know does work is a health scare, I've met people in some free alcohol counselling programs that attended because weeks before they were throwing up blood, coughing up blood, crapping out blood... and rushed to emergency depts where doctors say if u drink again u will die. That ends your drinking faster than analysis and pussyfooting around the problem. you don't want to get to that point, ... and these were high functioning professionals , late 30s and 40s.

you really have to change your thinking and just say, today is the end.
I agree with this. The degree of pain at the end of the drinking makes a huge difference. It got bad for me. When I think of drinking now, it takes me back to that last weekend I drank and the choice is pretty damned simple. How do I avoid that happening again? Just say no to a beverage? Done! Trade off completely worth it.