View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello zweauxy, geez that all sounds incredibly traumatic, particularly your last fight. It also sounds like your partner has been spiraling for years to the point where his life was in danger. That is hell to watch. If you spend time reading around this forum you'll find others who watched, or are still watching the same tragic behavior.

The physical violence - that can be exacerbated by drinking, certainly, but I think it needs to be addressed as its own issue, in therapy, by both of you, whether or not you reconcile. It's really good you have a therapy appointment set up.

because it's over until he enters recovery.
This really is the bottom line. Hopefully he will embrace recovery but it will take time and be a difficult road for him. I gently suggest you prepare yourself for it going either way. Again, read around the forum. There are members who have achieved long-term sobriety with a tremendous amount of commitment and effort. It is absolutely possible.

My concern is that when he gains sober clarity, he will hate me, not forgive me, and stay in Florida.
This is just my opinion but if he gains sober clarity I truly doubt those things will happen. I think he'll be as sorry about the awful events as you are.

Hang in there friend, he's in the right place, getting the care he needs. You get the care you need, too. I know it's super hard to lose contact but it's probably a good thing to have this break for now.