View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
joandmelandhan

I think I understand what you were trying to get across corriec. My participation in SR has slowly grown since I joined back in April 2016. For me it has been a confidence thing really particularly when it comes to posting on the threads of others. I do try and post when something "speaks" to me, a person with similar experiences or situations. And yes I've seen with my own eyes cries for help and a wonderful gathering of support. It really does make my heart sing when someone can be hand-held through a bad craving or a period of withdrawal. I was on the receiving end of that support too during a particularly difficult cold-turkey withdrawal. It was absolutely amazing and for that I will be forever grateful and attempt in my own way to give back to SR every day.
Sometimes though it's not about (IMO) necessarily about the nature of the post or advice but it's simply the act of saying hello or welcome. As a newcomer (by that I mean a person's very first post) many people are totally isolated by their addiction and don't really know what SR is about. I remember very clearly being so relieved that there were real life actual people I could communicate with when IRL I felt utterly alone.
Yes sometimes the cry for help comes when the person posting is sometimes already committed to drinking but for every 10 if even only 1 changes their mind that's still got to be worth a shot in my eyes. And even if they do drink then maybe then next day they log in and see that people did actually care it might help them get back on track.
I do believe there is a collective responsibility for us to look out for one another and I am here to vouch for the fact that SR has saved me from the bottle on several occasions. Even if it is just the bonds I have and not wanting to let anyone down who has invested their precious time in me.
Thank you for the thread corriec xxx