Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
This thread has taken on a life of it's own.
She went out to an event to hear a band. Someone she knew casually handed her a glass of wine. She knew what to do, and didn't drink it.

She shows resolve and knows and understands her relationship with alcohol. She knows where she stands-on solid ground.

She deserves credit for a job well done.
Because you wouldn't have placed yourself in her position, or been able to handle it, doesn't speak for everyone.
I worked in a nightclub for three years and didn't drink.
Although we all may share the same malady, we can't juxtaposition ourselves with someone else.
We're all different types of people and are at different places in our recovery.
Please bare that in mind.
The icky thing this thread has done is make me feel like I have more in common with drinkers than those in recovery, which is way more slippery than a glass of wine in my hand that I didn’t drink.

I know we have to think in absolutes when it comes to avoiding the ingestion of alcohol, that must always be an absolute, but some people take their absolutism pretty far.

I will still have a social life. And that’s going to be far better for my sobriety than sitting everything out that my family and long time friends invite me to, because in the long run, that would only breed resentment. And while some of you have stories of sudden boozing at social events, I have also read stories here of people who are years in and feel like shut ins who only go to AA, and feel like their lives lack the vibrancy they had before. Why is that? Avoidance of too much of life, fearing it threatens sobriety. I’d rather live than be fearful forever.

These things can be taken too far. I’m staying sober. Also....I had a fantastic time Saturday night, it was a real shot in the arm socially and I loved seeing my friends. Didn’t matter that the wine went back on the bar instead of down my throat. At least to me, and my friends at the event, anyway....I seemed to have shocked a bunch of people here!

Thanks ghostlight for understanding.