View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
DangerZone

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
When people relapse week after week, and post about how terrible they feel about that, my first thought is to want to say "if you could stop for good right now, you would. There is a reason why this keeps happening." I don't know what the reason is, and it's clear from their pain-filled messages that they don't know either. And yes, it's likely to keep happening until they are able to figure that reason out. But eventually it will happen. The penny will drop. Perhaps they'll see a therapist for help, or someone at an AA meeting or on here will share some of their own experience that's so familiar a light bulb will switch on. Until that happens, all we can do is offer our support and reinforce the message that the goal of sobriety is worth the struggle.

In my case, I would constantly ask "why do I keep doing this despite knowing how terrible I end up feeling", and the answer turned out to be "I keep doing this because of how terrible I end up feeling." Doesn't make any logical sense, but it's how people's brains can work (out of our awareness). We often find ourselves in situations that are familiar, even if what's familiar is painful. Working with a therapist to figure out my own role in creating those situations, and finally dealing with what was in my past that was leading me to do it, has made all the difference to me. My last drink was in May 2015, and I will never drink again.
I can't speak for everyone obviously I can only speak for myself.

Truth is I've had a handful of good times while I was drunk or high. Stupid because I've had 2x as many bad times on alcohol and drugs and both have really screwed up my life but for whatever reason I always seem to remember the good times as opposed to the bad times when I contemplate using.

It's really easy to justify using when I am having a bad day sober... it makes the pain of life go away if only temporary. It's the power of drugs.

Another factor is if you are using a lot you might not be used to being sober in certain situations so you get out of your comfort zone and it makes it hard to stay clean especially during the beginning stages of sobriety. Also, humans are like dogs in the sense we like to feel like we belong. So the natural human desire to 'fit in' is always a factor I see with many alcoholics who relapse.

Like many have said we have to learn why we are using and find alternatives to what we were using the drugs for... That's why relapses can be invaluable learning experiences. Not that I am condoning them.

I have nothing against chronic relapsers as long as they keep fighting as soon as they relapse. Most of us have been there.