View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Hi Oberoi.

I've consumed many substances addictively. Booze was #1, with blow as a close #2.

Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. Narcotic withdrawal is generally not fatal, but can be hugely unpleasant and make you WANT to die.

Cocaine withdrawal has comparatively few physical symptoms.

So stopping should be much easier, correct?

WRONG.

Alcohol and heroin cause more DEPENDENCE. ADDICTION is just as strong with cocaine.

The psychological withdrawal from cocaine, as well as other stimulants such as meth, can be devastating. Lack of pleasure in anything, feeling like life has a gauze over it. Feeling completely detached and depersonalized from everyone. Huge depression and anxiety. Dopamine receptors so whacked out that the only way you can feel any sort of pleasure is through using your DOC. Crushing fatigue. Basically that life is useless, empty, and hollow.

In some way the relative lack of physical symptoms is worse. With alcohol withdrawal, if you remain abstinent the changing physiology, while often unpleasant, gives you a marker of progress and you generally see an overall positive progression in mood, outlook and physical well being. Coke doesn't give that kind of feedback.

It may be for these reasons why cocaine relapse is just as prevalent as relapse from other substances which DO cause massive physical dependence.

If you are smoking it in any form, it's much more difficult to stop.

Coke is also frequently comorbid with other substances, as well as sex and gambling addiction.

It really is the devil's dandruff.

However, people do get sober from cocaine every day.

The addiction recovery process has far more in common with other substances than differences. You cannot do this alone. Inpatient recovery is a great way to jump start the process, as you get treatment and a respite from temptation. Outpatient group therapy is also fantastic if available. A psychiatrist can help with any underlying mental health conditions which will surface with a vengeance when you get sober. Cocaine is a common substance that people with bipolar disorder use to self-medicate.

I would also strongly suggest a 12 step program, and definitely CA (Cocaine Anonymous) if there are any groups in your area. You or may not follow the 12 Step model in your recovery, but getting support from fellow addicts early in the recovery process will be eye-opening and hugely helpful.

I do both AA and CA meetings, and my favorite is an all-fellowship meeting. Most of the attendees have been addicted to both alcohol and cocaine, which I can totally relate to. The CA meetings are a bit more inclusive, as AA is more specifically restricted to alcohol, and CA welcomes people with any sort of addiction, and the "look and feel" is a bit different from AA. I actually prefer CA.

You have made the first step. You recognize that you have a problem that has definite and strong negative consequences, that you want to stop using, and that you need help to stop. This is 12 Step 1. You recognize that you are powerless over your substance, and that your life has become unmanageable. It's basically surrender to your addiction.

Congratulations!

Next is to get that help and start the road to sobriety.

Good luck on your journey.