Thread: I hate alcohol
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

AVRT/RR, great threads on these ideas here on SR in the Secular Connections forum, really resonated with me. Learning about AVRT I realized I'd never be able to 'kill the monster' (in AVRT , the Beast or the desire for alcohol, intoxication) once born It will always exist in me or as a part of me.
AVRT (addictive voice recognition technique) is a technique used to identify and separate from the Bark of the Beast , the AV. The Beast is basically a quadriplegic, the desire itself has no control over our higher or more rational functions . IT can't actually get in a car and drive to the store, IT can't open a bottle and tip it into your mouth and control the swallowing mechanism. IT has to hijack our thinking through the AV ( any idea or image of future consumption, and any doubt in our ability to remain abstinent) and appear to ourselves as our own 'thinking' to get us to decide to get the keys and head to the store .
The decision to Quit , to commit to unconditional life long abstinence (a Big Plan in AVRT) requires acceptance of the existence of the desire and that that desire may always exist .
Planning to not drink only in the abscence of desire is a plan to drink in the presence of desire and not a commitment to abstinence.
People who quit make a promise to themselves to never drink again, no matter what. Make a pledge to yourself to never drink again, even if 'you' want to.
Or better yet , assign the desire to the Beast , recognize , separate from and dismiss Its AV , because if you decide to quit 'you' can't ever 'want' to drink, yeah?