Thread: I hate alcohol
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
GotTheBlues

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
This is quite harsh. If we could control ourselves we will probably not be here.
Without wanting to get too far off topic, there are different ways of looking at it. Everyone with addiction problems knows how hard it is to exert control over obsessive thoughts and powerful impulses, but I find it more helpful to recognize that you do have a choice and complete power to make the right decision.

I am no way suggesting I am stronger than anyone else or that anyone struggling is weak. I struggle myself a lot. All of that is stigma and nonsense. Addiction really keeps people from seeing how strong they really are and how free they are to live the kind of lives they want to.

When I relapsed recently, I was frightened by how out of control I was, having got used to being sober and fairly reasonable in my behavior. But I was certainly the one who picked up the drink and I take responsibility for it. It was a bad choice ultimately.

Anyway, just some ideas. In no way contradicting anyone else's views, just rambling...