Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by WeWillRecover View Post
... I really need to do everything I can to not get fooled into thinking it's okay to have just a few. It never is but how easily I forget.
Yes - how easily we fool ourselves into thinking that we've somehow reset ourselves to 'no-longer-addicted' and think we can drinking like a normie. For me, that Step 1 I did with my sponsor is still a handy reference page to look back on. And my old posts on here (although I lost some of my earliest ones when we had a few technical issues back then I think). Also, working with Newcomers at AA brings it all back to me. Every time, so step 12 saves my arse as well. Oh, and when I'm asked to do a main share and ecount what it WAS like, what happened, and what it's like now - well, that helps me remember that it is never okay for me to just have a few.

I would definitely suggest getting a sponsor once you've had a chance to get to know who there has the kind of sobriety you'd like for yourself. That way you can crack on with some step-work, which for me was when my recovery really started.

I'd also suggest getting to meetings early to help set up, and staying late to help pack away. That's when you get to know who the more cmmitted members are, and to have more useful conversations about recovery with some of those folk who aren't so keen on whole-meeting sharing. They're often quiet but very wise.

Well done for finding the humility to let others help you, and the willingness to make those changes that can help keep you sober.

BB