Thread: My First Post
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
atalose

So, my next issue is he is very upset I told his parents. His mom questioned me and I wasn't going to lie, so it's not like I offered up the information. I tried explaining that to him, but he's still upset. Should I have kept my mouth shut?

His mom questioned me and I wasn't going to lie, so it's not like I offered up the information.

I have told his parents only because his dad is a recovering alcoholic/drug addict and has been sober for 35 years and he loves and has tons of respect for his dad.
Sounds like you told his parents because you wanted them to make him seek help thinking because his dad overcame his own addiction issues he could help his son. This is where you are going to begin to learn that no one, not even parents can make someone do something they don’t want to do. And calling a grown man’s mommy and daddy on him, I can see how he would be mad.

Ironically, the girlfriend called me shortly after I posted. She said she knew nothing of his alcoholism and said she's left an alcoholic before and won't date another.
Just right out of the blue his new girlfriend called you? That’s incredible, do you know her? Why would she call you? And you disclosed to her that he was an alcoholic? Since she said she left an alcoholic before and will not date another, does that give you hope? Was that your plan, to try to get her out of the picture?

Deep levels of desperation on our part gets turned on when attempting to force our will of what we want another person to do, such as quit drinking and seek help, so that WE can be happy.

The situation stinks; life with an active alcoholic is not easy, pleasant, warm, fuzzy or secure. I would try and seek some help with counseling or therapy to help you work through this difficult process of your relationship ending so that you can get you and your children back together.