Thread: My First Post
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cantisaurus

My First Post

Hi - new here.

So I'll try and keep this short at first and just expound as I participate more and more.
My bf is an alcoholic that refuses to get help. We've been together for 12 years and have 3 kids from my first marriage who all consider him to be their dad.

He admits he has a problem and that he needs help, but he refuses to get it. He's high functioning so has no legal issues, pays his bills, goes to work etc. But on his days off, which is 3-4 days due to his schedule, he drinks at least one large bottle of whiskey a night and blacks out. He has his own 'mancave' in the basement and doesn't start until after we go to bed so I haven't caught until the last year or so how bad it is.

To make things worse, he recently started seeing another woman and admits the problem the reason he likes the idea of being with her is because she knows nothing of his history (meaning she doesn't know he's an alcoholic) so if he stays with her he doesn't have to seek treatment. But if he stays with his family, he would.

Me and the kids have left the house - they are with their aunt and I am with my mom.

I guess I don't know where to start with the questions. I feel like I need to fight for my family. He's gotten so close to getting help in the last 3 months and has even made an appointment but didn't go. I have told his parents only because his dad is a recovering alcoholic/drug addict and has been sober for 35 years and he loves and has tons of respect for his dad.

Is there anything I can do at this point to get him to go? He's so close to losing everything and the kids and I are heartbroken.