Thread: Tough Emotions
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

I ruminate..a lot.
That empty void? The darkness of that self image in a pit of despair and the need to fill it. The way I see myself now- firstly btw so good on the post and recovery. The way I see it- to get out of that pit- I have to build a stair case- up, up, up- to the light..which I suppose of at peace with the world me. I do not pursue happiness as a constant. I went thru a childish phase of 'waiting' to feel better. But just like with booze- nothing fills that void long term.
I believe you are right- a refresh the page idea to life. Perhaps there is not one big empty place..but lots of little ones. So if I feel crap (which, if I admit it- is a lot) I make myself do the mindful breathey bit, then- for lack of a better word, distract. A walk (lots of that), a shower, sweep the floor, journal...
I have a sponsor and do SMART as well as run 2 very raw AA meetings- more by default and doing the right thing, not as a moral crusade. BUT like minded, well intending sober alcies help me stay sober...for the empty void bit- I turn to professional friends. A counselor, GP, psychologist. To maintain everyday strategies, use CBT as a tool for growth and monitoring my major depression.
To me- AA is not the be all. My sponsor is not god- and has faults. As (well surprise!) do I. Balance is the key for me.
Support to you and keep posting.