View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

You certainly seem to have a very intelligent and objective view of your substance use. So I assume at some level you know abstinence from self intoxicating substances would guarantee your freedom from any negative consequences of future use.

Culturally , abstinence has negative connotations , but for an individual a commitment to guaranteeing one's self freedom of the negative consequences of self intoxication i.e. abuse, addiction , loss of self esteem, wasting time , money damage to mind , body and soul ect. , abstinence would,seem to offer a better path to a more fulfilling life, especially for those who exhibit signs of being prone to abuse.

Asking and examining these questions at a relatively young age will serve you well, if you can answer them objectively and be comfortable with those answers.

Being prone to bringing yourself to dark places/levels of consumption does not bode well, yeah? I will say my experience of being an overindulgent intoxication enthusiast is that the enthusiasm doesn't fade on its own, feeding that enthusiasm with more years of booze/ drug use tends to only exacerbate it.

I would have rather asked these questions and had the courage to understand the answers when I was 26 and chose abstinence, instead of finally getting around to it 20 some years later , with absolutely nothing gained by continuing to chase the buzz.