Notices

Just Saying "Hello"

Old 10-26-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Saying "Hello"

Hi All,

I'm a 26-year-old guy trying to figure out. Meeting with a psychologist who specializes in addiction and compulsion therapy Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

Over the past year, I'd say I've spent 1/3 of it sober or relatively sober, which is substantially less than any other year of my life since the age of 17. I've been to AA before and found it wasn't for me. In short, my drug(s) of choice are marijuana and alcohol. Most of the time, my consumption only rivals that of which is considered a "norm" for people my age. But there are times when it exceeds such an amount and there is a darkness associated with it that I haven't yet explored and I feel if delivered the right circumstances, it could spin out of control. Like everyone, there are emotional and physical issues in complication with it. It's my intention to really take a look at these issues under a microscope and figure out what the best course of action is for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope you're all doing well.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

You certainly seem to have a very intelligent and objective view of your substance use. So I assume at some level you know abstinence from self intoxicating substances would guarantee your freedom from any negative consequences of future use.

Culturally , abstinence has negative connotations , but for an individual a commitment to guaranteeing one's self freedom of the negative consequences of self intoxication i.e. abuse, addiction , loss of self esteem, wasting time , money damage to mind , body and soul ect. , abstinence would,seem to offer a better path to a more fulfilling life, especially for those who exhibit signs of being prone to abuse.

Asking and examining these questions at a relatively young age will serve you well, if you can answer them objectively and be comfortable with those answers.

Being prone to bringing yourself to dark places/levels of consumption does not bode well, yeah? I will say my experience of being an overindulgent intoxication enthusiast is that the enthusiasm doesn't fade on its own, feeding that enthusiasm with more years of booze/ drug use tends to only exacerbate it.

I would have rather asked these questions and had the courage to understand the answers when I was 26 and chose abstinence, instead of finally getting around to it 20 some years later , with absolutely nothing gained by continuing to chase the buzz.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I think it's surprising how quickly and easily things can spin out of control. I'm glad you are planning to see a therapist who specializes in addiction. If AA is not for you, there are other recovery programs and ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-26-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome PBateman - this is a great place to talk things over. I'm glad you're taking a look at how alcohol is impacting your life. We're happy to have you with us.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Being prone to bringing yourself to dark places/levels of consumption does not bode well, yeah? I will say my experience of being an overindulgent intoxication enthusiast is that the enthusiasm doesn't fade on its own, feeding that enthusiasm with more years of booze/ drug use tends to only exacerbate it.
Yep, that has been my experience as well!
Old 10-26-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PBateman

They were my drugs of choice too. I didn't stop and I experienced the darkness the despair and the 'out of controlness' before I quit at 40.

You;re wise to be considering this now and I hope you follow it through.

D
Old 10-27-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today PBateman ?