Thread: Newbie here!
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Abbiegrace

Newbie here!

Hi everyone,
So happy to have found this forum.

I have been with my partner for about 18 months. He told me early on that he knows he has a problem with drinking and we now live together and I really want to support him.

He drinks nearly every day - a bottle of wine, a bottle of gin and a small bottle of vodka. I don't drink at all except on special occasions so he has this all to himself. On weekends he drinks more. If we go out for an event he drinks until he can't stand and vomits etc. He doesn't seem to have any ability to stop until he passes out.

He is not abusive. He is a 'happy drunk', never aggressive or violent. But I can't stand the thought of how unhealthy and unhappy he is.

He says the only things that make him happy are drinking and smoking (cigarettes). He works full time and likes his job but is always tired and spends a lot of time in bed. On the weekends he doesn't get up til about 2pm. He never drinks at work.

I'm completely lost as to how to help him. He says he wants to cut down but doesn't want to be sober. I feel like he needs to be sober but what do I do when he clearly isn't ready?

He says he finds it patronising when people try to support and encourage him. Please someone tell me what to do next.

Thanks so much