Thread: Tapering advice
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tko48326

Tapering advice

Hello. I am a new member but have browsed this forum several time. I have been drinking heavily for many years (15). At least a fifth of vodka a day on most day for the last year. Some times less, some times more. The last few days I have been cutting back a little...even more yesterday. I started drinking in the mornings and during the day about a year ago to keep the anxious feelings away. I have anxiety attacks. I bet sometimes they are withdrawals AND anxiety. I work from home which doesn't help! I have a business trip next week and I obviously can't bring my bottle of vodka with me to the all day meetings. I will not be tapering to zero for this trip but I need to get it under control. I do have .25 Xanax to use as needed and they do help. Here is how I am approaching my taper. I am going to wait until I NEED that drink before I have one. For example, I had my last drink at 9:30 last night. I didn't sleep great. Sweats started at 2 but I did not have a drink or a pill. It is now 11:15am and I have not had a pull. I will see how long I can go and then only drink what I need to. I hope that if that is 2pm today....tomorrow it is 3pm etc. Has anyone tried this approach?

And my liver enzymes are bad so I am also trying to avoid the Xanax. I was taking it daily and my enzymes are 176 and 221.

Yes I have a doctor and he is aware and supportive but we didn't talk about tapering. He also gave me a sleeping pill that is safe with alcohol and non habit forming. He advised me to increase that if needed as my insomnia will get worse before it gets better as I cut my drinking.

And so you know a little bit more about me.....I am 47 and I am married to an alcoholic (worse than me with deteriorating health issues), a very difficult son that has made my life hell (love him!) so my "excuse" for drinking is stress, a commission based job, anxiety and insomnia. Plus to be honest, I love the social aspect of it.

And I am the healthiest unhealthy person around. I eat very clean, gluten free and vegan. I exercise often but not as much as before because I get too anxious at the gym in the morning. I drink decaf herbal tea and about a gallon of water a day. I had my labs done recently and they are perfect except for the liver enzymes and high iron (caused by the liver likely). I do smoke too but 1/2 pack a day on most days. My friends laugh at my diet because of my drinking and smoking.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to your comments without judgement.

Last edited by tko48326; 10-09-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: More information