View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Interesting thread! i definitely concur that acceptance of who WE are is a huge part- blessing, really- of recovery.

For a long time I considered myself (and so did everrrryone else) a big ol' extrovert. In recent years, I learned the term "ambivert" - which I think describes me very well in sobriety (and before, which explains some things about my need for attention and often, subsequent crash and isolation)....I am someone who is extroverted in many ways- I can talk to anyone in any situation, I easily wear a cape of sociability and easy conversation, and because I can expend so much energy being "on" - I need equal time to recharge, to be quiet, to rest, to enjoy being at home with my family (and dog) ..... in sobriety I have found that I enjoy MUCH less stimulation than before (when my alcoholism was in full force, or even before that) and generally choose one on one friend time, or couple with couple, and have a much shorter time frame for attending big events.

Learning to take care of my needs- some surprising once I figured out my pattern of intro/extro, so to speak- is a big part of living my own full life in recovery, happily.

This is me, also. When I tell people now that I consider myself more of an introvert, they are shocked and tell me I'm nuts. Because when I was drinking I was pretty outgoing and always up for a party. But that was mostly the booze talking. And I was so miserable in my own skin that I got antsy and felt really lonely and like kind of a loser if I was forced to be alone. I can still be quite social and enjoy being around a lot of people if I'm in the mood and the setting is right, but after a social event (or even work, where I talk to people a lot), I neeeeed time to be alone and recharge. I'm quite happy at home alone now (well, I have a teen son living at home, but he spends most of his time in his room), and don't feel the need to constantly be surrounded by people in order to avoid being alone. I need a balance or I get all anxious and overwhelmed.