View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ReadyAtLast

Being a happy introvert in sobriety

Hi,
I just thought I'd start this thread as have read a couple of very interesting things on SR today about being an introvert. "An introvert in an extroverted world" to quote another SR member, Linners

I started drinking as a very introverted shy, nervous teen and suddenly found this magical substance that made me feel like I fitted in, an extrovert, life and soul, confident etc. Fast forward many years and the wheels fall off.

I did have a period of sobriety 3 years plus until last year and the early months of sobriety were very eye opening. what I did learn was that it's ok to be an introvert. We aren't all extroverts and we don't need to be. Neither do I want to be.

We are all meant to be as we are and learning to be happy and content as we are in our own skins is something I'm still learning to do but getting there Of course we can all grow and develop and learn new skills, emotional, coping, mental etc but we don't need to fundamentally change our inner characters.

I have always and still do disliked group activities, groups etc. I like being alone or with 1 or 2 friends. Of course there are times when I do go to group gatherings and I cope but it drains me. If I have visitors for the weekend I feel mentally and physically drained for a few days and have to take time out alone to almost recharge.

on Friday I was out all day with friends and yesterday I spent the afternoon at a play centre with a group of children and their parents. Last night I was drained. I hadn't physically done much, just mentally being around people tires me.

The most important thing is that we accept that there is nothing wrong being as we are this way. If we are happy and understand ourselves then we are not odd, weird or different from everyone else. Everyone is different and we should all celebrate our uniqueness.

Happy Sober Sunday everyone