View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wpainterw

The Past, Present and Future

I can’t do anything about

The Past

What’s done is done. I can’t change it. No sense beating myself up about it or feeling “shame”. I had an illness, partially as a result of my doing, partially due to other things beyond my control. I can’t forget it but I shouldn’t dwell on it when there’s work to be done in

The Present

Living in the "Now", there are things I can do, like not taking a drink, like helping others, particularly if I’m depressed. I find the best way to relieve my depression is to find someone else who’s depressed and try to cheer up him or her. And if someone’s drinking or just had a relapse or “slip” all I can do is say “that sure happened to me”. But I have ro realize that if anyone’s going to get better they should do it for themselves, not for anyone else. And I can’t “fix” it. Shouldn’t try. When I was drinking if anyone tried to “fix” or “cure” me it always made it worse.

The Future

Tomorrow is something I can’t control although I can try to minimize the problems I might encounter in the future by doing what I can do today, Now, in the Present. Like not drinking. No one can really predict the future, particularly in the times in which we live. But we can influence others like our kids, to make life easier for them, avoid some of the mistakes we have made, be open with them about drinking, substance abuse and other things. Helping them in this way will make their future better and that will make me happier, something I have done to make their world a better place.