View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
hellrzr
DOS: 08-16-2012

I completely get that. A major part of the program is one alcoholic relating to another. I also had no legal or major problems caused from drinking. I drank at home while working around the house and out in my garage. I didn't relate at all to those who had 4 OWIs or were arrested in bar fights. But I did talk to a couple of other guys who also drank in their garage and missed family events and work and drank and drove to get more beer right before the store closes because Lord forbid you run out of beer before you drank what you needed to that day! They told me how their lives just slowly got worse and worse and that made me see I was on the same path. So I started talking to those guys and asking them for advice and eventually followed that advice.

Another good thing I used to hear and keep in mind was all those things that others shared are more than likely things that just hadn't happened to me..... yet. I found that to be true when one of the other garage drinker guys went back to drinking and then got an OWI on the way to get more beer. Once he returned to AA he said that now an OWI was something else he would have in common with others in the rooms.

One more tidbit you may not like hearing but your mind telling you that you don't relate is just another way this disease works. You really do need to try to find similarities in the stories and not differences. : )