View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
hellrzr
DOS: 08-16-2012

"I don't believe that normal doubts and critical thinking is the enemy of sobriety or just my AV talking. This is just the way I am and I think it's helped me avoid a lot of grief in my life (including almost being recruited into a cult). I'm not saying AA is a cult by any means, but I'm saying my critical thinking has helped me in the past."

I'm also on the list of being a critical thinker. I also almost critically thought my way out of AA! Our egos have a lot to do with this disease. I don't want to debate but most people in AA are very intelligent people. Seems the more intelligent and thoughtful you are the tougher time you have. Your disease just loves finding a way to show you are different than everyone else or how you are unique and it won't work for you. These are amongst the countless things I learned from a great sponsor and grand sponsor. From my experience those who really succeed and are happy in AA are those who are able to let go of their ego and see that a good sponsor is a gift and someone whom they need to listen too.

I think you have great plan to look more into AA and ask questions. I've always learned the most before and after meetings. The meetings are a very small part of the program. Good luck no matter what road you go down!