View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
hellrzr
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by Shitzupuppy View Post
I disagree. There are many paths to the same endpoint. You have to give in and decide your life is better without drinking or that you will never drink again. There is AVRT, which I have used and SMART, as mentioned above.

But you don't have to give in and follow the program or feel that is the only way.
I used to wake up sick every morning and every morning I told myself how much better my life would be if I just stopped drinking and decided every morning that I was done drinking. By the afternoon that desire had worn off and about the time work was done I was ready to drink again because I needed to forget all those things that were keeping me up at night. It didn't matter how much I told myself differently, I kept living like that until I decided to give in and follow the program of AA and do all the tasks my sponsor asked of me. Only then was I able to deal with those things and sleep again at night.

I may have very well had success with other programs but the point is that I DID have to give in and follow a program and dedicate my life to it for it to work. It didn't matter how often I said I wanted to stop or how much better I knew my life would be without drinking, I had to take action and get help and for me that started by walking into an AA meeting.

If someone has success other than AA that is great but they still have to give into that program and go all in and dedicate themselves to following it or it won't work. I wasn't saying AA is the only way but it is a great way and has worked for millions of people and has a massive network of help for those who seek it.