View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Shoot. I think I wasn't clear on my earlier post.

The way I read this passage may well be incorrect, but here's the way I reconcile it: Bill was saying, "Our way works! Unfortunately, some people try our way and even when they do their best to go all in, they keep drinking. From what we've seen, those folks can't do it (our way) because they simply can't get honest with themselves. And it's not their fault because we know they really really tried.

I am more than a little ignorant about AA history, but it seems that even then (most) people would think "but if you do succeed some other way, bully on you!" I know a little more about human character and some people in the program certainly became puffed up with their own success and
started putting their own gruff and righteous spin on things. Personally, I haven't seen much (or any) of that in real life though I've heard of it - and sometimes read it here.

Anyhow, I don't think that passage means You Suck if You Can't Do It Our Way. I think it means if you Go All In, the only way we've seen it fail is with people who can't get honest with themselves. End of sentence. Leaves lots of room for doing it other ways, in my opinion.

O