View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
I plan to stay sober. I'm not sure if I need AA to stick to this plan given the philosophical differences I have with the program. I do want to work on myself spiritually and emotionally, but I think there are other ways to do this.

I struggle with this because it's the most readily available program and it seems to work for people. I just don't think it's for me.
Couple things....10 meetings really isn't a lot to understand AA. Have you talked to others? Perhaps get a sponsor? There is so much to learn- straight up facts and suggestions - note "suggestions," as that is what AA is, suggestions made by people who have followed a simple laid out program for living sober.

It's a total change of thinking and way of life.

My dad used to tell me I could try to think my way out of my problem- he hadn't seen that work for anyone - maybe there were some, he'd say, but he'd seen a lot that AA did work for.

Our alcoholic minds can reason up a whole lot of things to counter and denounce recovery- in any progam.

You said "I plan to stay sober." OK, how? That's the key- IMO and IME and from what I see of those who successfully stay sober- action and a real PROGRAM of living not just "dry" but in recovery.

Just my $0.02+