Old 09-27-2005, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
requiredfield
Peace begins with a smile

Beth- First off, I used driving drunk as an example, you can replace that w/ anything that could mean permanant damage, i.e. overdose, etc. As active addicts and drunks, anything is bound to happen when we use. For me, it was all downhill after that first drink or hit. I just got very, very lucky that nothing really bad that could have damaged my life severly happened. But believe me, I did some soul damage while I was out there... And just remember just because it hasn't happened YET, doesn't mean it can't. Y.E.T. stands for You're eligible, too. For example, I've never done coke, but if i were too pick up WHO KNOWS what could happen. When I use, it's ON.

As for meetings, I don't think you're going to find one that you want to go to every week if you're only getting to them ONCE a week. If plan your day around a meeting, ONE DAY AT A TIME, I promise you, you'll find some you really like, you'll start to meet people, and you'll start to feel better.

We're all scared as #$%^ walking through that door. But how willing are you to get sober? If you WANT sobriety, more than you want to get high or drunk you will go to any length to get it, just like when you want to get high MORE you'll go to any length to get it. (For example, I would say the same thing about meetings that were too far and someone would say to me, "But you would have went that far for a bag of drugs, right?" and I knew I had to make the effort.)

It's a matter of life and death here. Sticking your hand in the air and saying "Hi I'm Beth, I'm new and I'm struglling to stay sober and have issues about what I should do about schoooll... and explain everything that's going around in your head (needing a ride, etc)" you will not only get the help you need, but you will feel better, you will meet the right ppl who can and WANT to help you and you will thank yourself later. I've been there. I've done it. I was scared to death. But looking back, it's the best thing I ever did. And I did it because I was desperate to change my life, desperate to end the pain I lived with for years that was no longer getting stuffed by booze and drugs.