View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Thank you. Got I'm actually due to do my step 5 end of next week. I really hope it helps as I do feel like a dry drunk at times. Today been a lovely day such a difference from yesterday. I'm going to throw myself into the rest of the steps and hope I change enough for the compulsion to leave me
One of the most amazing things if have been privileged to see is the miraculous change that comes over people when they take their fifth. I don't need to hear it to know they've done it, it just shines out of them, they are changing right before my eyes. It really is incredible to watch.

Two things seem to be very important to a successful outcome, and they are both covered in the book. Think very carefully before deciding who will hear your fifth. It is so important that the person understand what you are about and can keep everything in confidence. Having the wrong person can be devastating.

The second thing is to withhold nothing. All skeletons out of the closet for a good airing, no secrets kept. You will be amazed to find that you are just an ordinary (ho hum) alcoholic who has done ordinary alcoholic things. It made a huge difference to me to know that I was just like everybody else, not better and certainly not worse. I used to think I was the worst person that ever came to AA. Imagine that .

I wish you well with your fifth step, and I pray that you will have the same amazing experience I and many others have had.