Thread: New job offer
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Joe,
Congratulations on your job offer. It sounds like quite a career advancement and I am sure it would not have been offered if they did not think you would do an excellent job.

I had a pretty amazing career path in sobriety, especially considering in the early days I saw the pinnacle of achievement as being a cab driver. That was my plan, read books drive cars, probably the laziest taxi driver ever.

But God had Other ideas. The cops wouldn't let me have a cab license, so I ended up in a job which allowed me to complete my trade qualification. After that I applied for a job as a trainee salesman in a big company, and got it our of forty applicants. Promoted to salesman eighteen months later, and after a while into management. Then left and ran my own restaurant, then back into engineering, finished up as a divisional manager in a national company before starting another business. Now sailing the pacific and Indian oceans. Long way from a lazy cabby.

Alcohol and alcoholism was not a factor I considered or mentioned in any of these jobs. As one AA friend put it, why tell them about a problem that is not a problem. And that's it, the problem has been removed. Freedom from alcohol in my understanding means that it has no say in how I live my life, in this case what jobs I can or cannot do.

There is nothing out there that can make me drink. There are no triggers. There is only my internal spiritual condition, and I have a program that lets me take care of that, so whether I am stressed or wracked with grief, or angry, or whatever, it never. Occurs to me to drink.

I did have my wires crossed for a long time however, and learnt some lessons along the way. I was a victim of the delusion that I can wrest satisfaction from this life if only I manage well. AA ers might recognize that passage. Each promotion, each advancement, each pay rise, each success, I thought, would change me, make me more complete on an internal level. But after each move forward, I was almost disappointed to find I was still the same person.