Notices

New job offer

Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New job offer

Im approaching almost 2 years of sobriety, and have basically been living my life straight as an arrow - completely content but rather boring from the outside world.

While I have been trucking along truly finding myself, I was headhunted 10 days ago.

Just being myself I went in last week figuring "why not". 1 hour turned into 4, and then the next day another 4 hours. After all was done, they ended up wanting me for a more senior role : actually #2 in the chain of command. A dream job (so to speak).

Offer letter arrived today, it was very exciting just reading it... but now I find myself thinking this might disturb my sobriety (routine).

I know at one point we must challenge ourselves, and I feel fairly strong in my resolve, but Im hoping for others in here who might have accepted something similar --- what to expect? And with the uptick in responsibility, what extra thinking was needed to keep the balance?.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Joe,
Congratulations on your job offer. It sounds like quite a career advancement and I am sure it would not have been offered if they did not think you would do an excellent job.

I had a pretty amazing career path in sobriety, especially considering in the early days I saw the pinnacle of achievement as being a cab driver. That was my plan, read books drive cars, probably the laziest taxi driver ever.

But God had Other ideas. The cops wouldn't let me have a cab license, so I ended up in a job which allowed me to complete my trade qualification. After that I applied for a job as a trainee salesman in a big company, and got it our of forty applicants. Promoted to salesman eighteen months later, and after a while into management. Then left and ran my own restaurant, then back into engineering, finished up as a divisional manager in a national company before starting another business. Now sailing the pacific and Indian oceans. Long way from a lazy cabby.

Alcohol and alcoholism was not a factor I considered or mentioned in any of these jobs. As one AA friend put it, why tell them about a problem that is not a problem. And that's it, the problem has been removed. Freedom from alcohol in my understanding means that it has no say in how I live my life, in this case what jobs I can or cannot do.

There is nothing out there that can make me drink. There are no triggers. There is only my internal spiritual condition, and I have a program that lets me take care of that, so whether I am stressed or wracked with grief, or angry, or whatever, it never. Occurs to me to drink.

I did have my wires crossed for a long time however, and learnt some lessons along the way. I was a victim of the delusion that I can wrest satisfaction from this life if only I manage well. AA ers might recognize that passage. Each promotion, each advancement, each pay rise, each success, I thought, would change me, make me more complete on an internal level. But after each move forward, I was almost disappointed to find I was still the same person.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow Mike.. perfect read for me. I think im even going to print this one up.

Much like you my career started out... I was one of the laziest gas pump attendents ever, followed by a Subway Sandwhich guy. I took the 8pm-4am shift because no boss was around and I had freedom to deal with the booze patrons coming in with the munchies. Lol

Surprisingly these jobs actually got me hired at an F100 as BDR. Which then jumped to NAM at another F100... went back to uni to do my graduate degree. Came out and worked for a small firm, but good environment. Quit 3 years ago to start my own biz.. and it is now self sufficient with managers running the show.
So here I am, this time to go back to an F500 but sitting behind the "doors"..
If this was 3 years ago i would have been plastered by now in "celebration".. but then again, I would never have had the same composure in the interview (s). Irony indeed.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joe

no experience to share but at 2 years and going well I'd be surprised if you had anything to fear

I wrapped myself in cotton wool when I first got sober and I still think it was good for me to do that...

but after that I was free to do whatever I wanted with my new entirely blank canvas of my life, without that fear I might suddenly go insane and drink.

Only you know what this job entails and how strong you feel - but don't let fear for fears sake hold you back. This is the kind of stuff we get sober for

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-22-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The workplace loves sobriety and rewards it. I had the same experience. My contract was expanded (doubled), and so was my income about nine months into my recovery. It's been great . . . I'm too busy to even think about drinking and financially things are much better than they used to be.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds exciting! Congrats!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To let go of our recovery lifeline would
mean we would resort back to old behaviors,
waking that animal, (addiction) inside us
reeking havoc on everyone, everything
around us including ourselves.

Just like getting up every morning in
routine, eating, bathing, paying bills,
driving a car, so is it in working a recovery
program and incorporating it in our daily lives
on a daily bases.

If I wanted to remain healthy, happy, honest
in all my affairs then I had to and still want
sobriety more so than ever each and every
day I took a breath.

I couldn't and wouldn't have one without
the other. That is the secret of a successful
recovery life imo.

Life in recovery/sobriety is continued
maintenance on ones self every single
day, listening, learning, absorbing, applying
helpful, new ways to achieve a strong
solid foundation to live upon on a daily
bases.

2 yrs is an awesome achievement with
so many more blessings, miracles in life
to enjoy when recovery stands strong in
the fore front of your life.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the job offer JoeCree and of course on your 2 years of sobriety 👍👍👍