View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pathwaytofree

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
In my opinion and experience, it's just another addiction, it's enacting the pleasure-reward-aversion circuits in a human's brain. Whether it be alcohol, drugs, social media, OCD, over-eating, gambling etc. There are slight neuro-chemical nuances, of course, for each addiction, but similar neuro-pathways are involved.
I agree with your opinion as that's been my experience too Tatsy. I am so tired of it. I wish there was an easy way to change my neuro-pathways.

I've read that humans are hard-wired to seek instant gratification and the modern day age provides plenty of those. Sadly, our brains haven't kept pace, but there is good news. Human's have developed a powerful neo-cortex that is an effective inhibitor of the lower brain instant gratification focus. Aristotle discovered this power all those years ago, the rational brain can trounce the lower brain pleasure, avoidance, auto-pilot comforting bias.
I always joke with my husband that as a child I would have miserably failed "the marshmellow test" if you're familiar with that. So how do we work on strengthening our rational brain, and weakening the lower brain?

If there is a God, and I hope there is, s/he gave us free-will, aka neo-cortex, which distinguishes us from the reptile/mammalian brain, we have triune brains, which we can apply to our advantage in times of addiction adversity.
I've experienced God during my step work, even though I went into it not believing in it. I'm not sure I understand this paragraph, though. Can you restate it in non-scientific terms? Thanks. I do believe God gave us free will but it certainly doesn't feel like I am using free will to make a "choice" to be on social media when it makes me feel useless and miserable.