Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Well, the FIRSTstep for me was stopping drinking! And accepting that it was going to feel rubbish for a bit.

Then I started working on my recovery - for me through AA - the 12-step program with a sponsor. She taught me what I should do on a daily basis and guided me through.

To me self-care is a seperate issue. It's just part of doing what I should have been doing anyway. It is not part of my recovery program.

I'm sure you've seen Dee's threads but just in case... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-2.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

You know - if you're waiting for the perfect day, or the perfect combo of vitamins and workouts that will make stopping easy and comfortable you're in for a bloomin' long wait. That day won't come. It will be uncomfortable, but it is doable - there are enough of us here that are testimony to that, and dozens more in your local AA meetings no doubt. We just need to be willing to push past those tough weeks and do the recovery work (by which I don't mean physical exercise) so that you gradually build up sober muscles / sobriety tools that mean it starts to get easier. Just like there is no way to learn to ride a bike that can guarentee you never get a painful bump or bruise, there is no simple or easy way to do this.

Do you want it or not? I presume the answer is 'Yes' as you're still here asking questions and thinking about it. But do you want it enough to push through the mental and emotional discomfort and put yourself out to do stuff you might not want to do (kale smoothies and exercise regimes aside)?

I wish you all the best and hope that you decide to go all out for sobriety and serenity through working on your recovery. But us lot wishing it for you won't make it so. You're the one who has to want it.

BB