View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Wholesome

It was a big turning point for me too when I realized the only reason I was drinking was for pleasure, even if was to make myself feel better from uncomfortable experiences or emotions, that's still pleasure seeking. And that is a normal part of being alive, we all seek pleasure and avoid pain. All of the talk about triggers and character faults and inner voids was BS and AV. The hardest part was seeing how my AV used my emotions as an excuse for more drinks, feelings of fear or anhedonia or sadness, it felt like me, but really it was my addiction talking because the cure was always a tall boy of Grolsch. Having faults and inner scars are inescapable facts of life, if fixing those parts of me becomes a requirement for sobriety then I would feel doomed. I remember when I used to go to meetings, not just AA, but WFS or out-patient, and I would always feel so confused and guilty and hopeless. I am eternally grateful for RR! Something logical and focused and sane. A how to manual for the answer to how to quit drinking for life. Cut and dry and effective.