Old 08-31-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik
saoutchik

A Labour of Love - Labor Day Weekender 1st - 4th Sept.

If you are reading this and are an alcoholic like me then you likely want to stop. Indeed you have probably tried many times but after 5 days, 10 days a month the cravings have not let up and so you relapse. That's what happened to me more times than I care to remember.

The good news is that it doesn't have to be like that, although at first everything seems so "up hill" there does come a point when the cravings start to become less frequent, first you get days then maybe a week to 10 days off.

For me cresting that hill came a little after 100 days but I was in a bad way so maybe it will be less for you. Keep that in mind early on - it does get easier.

The thing is you have got to reach that crest or tipping point which is why Dee and many other talk about a plan. Cravings are persistent but not very smart and can be avoided by having distractions, doing things that require some concentration.

You cannot be undertaking displacement activities for the rest of your life but you can do for a few hours a day (in my case the evenings) for a couple of months. It really does lessen the strain and it is a whole lot easier than living life drunk/hungover. Increasing willpower is not really possible imo so making quitting easier has to be the way to go. Obviously all this would be in addition to any medication or formal rehab/AA if you so choose.

I used to wonder if I would ever have the strength to quit. It turned to be the soft option.

Well that all sounded a bit preachy, Weekenders is usually a bit of light relief from the daily struggle - do not adjust your set - nothing has changed but I did just want to offer some encouragement to people who are still drinking and think "I cannot quit"

Have a grrrrrrreat Labor Day weekend!!!