View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
hpdw

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
All,

I am feeling as solid mentally as I have felt in at least 15 years. My confidence was high enough that I thought I could start to have a "snort" on special occasions. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. I am an addict for life.

I know from SR, over and over and over, that is how it starts. Some folks go right off the edge into multi week benders. I am tippy toeing up to the edge.

The normies really don't get it. The active addicts don't get it. I didn't get it until I joined this website.

The best advice I received..that I will tattoo on my eyelids is..... when put in that position I will bow out w style. I will give my shot to my nearest friend after a ceremonial heartfelt toast.

The second best advice, if they remain insistent, is tell them I am allergic to alcohol. If I drink it, I get ill and I could have a breakdown. It is not a lie.

Anyway...

This place and AA are my tools to stay clean.

My wife always tells me I don't have any friends, it is hurtful. She does it to be mean sometimes, because I make her mad. That was part of the pressure I felt to drink at the party.

I still suffer anxiety and I know it is directly magnified by drinking. I remember back in the day, how the hangover anxiety started out lasting a few hours, then a day, then a week, then a month, then a year.

I don't have another relapse in me. I will go insane. Addiction is cunning and baffling. It is waiting in the back of my emotions to destroy me.

While normies might not think 1 small shot of booze in over a year is the door to Hell opening again, but that is how I, the addict, need to approach it.

I am not afraid to call myself an addict here. My problem is when I was in a room full of normies and active addicts.

This place is saving my life.

Thanks.
Previous to your little snort and even more so now you have and are helping ME so very much . Almost all that you say applies to me and I have taken so much from you experience . The line about tippy toeing to destruction is me also , the mental anguish , the progressive recovery times getting longer and longer .

I just want you to know even though you had your toast (which for me would have taken me to the bar for the night) that by the show of strength and commitment you are a tremendous asset to fellow alcoholics .

Thank You