Old 08-27-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Frustrated47 View Post
I'm so glad you are better now. That's a horrible place to be.

How did you do it all?

How did you eat, live without heat or indoor plumbing, function without money, transportation, or a phone, much less another person in your corner?

He is more than just the horrible things he's done in the past. He's more than just an alcoholic.

When he's sober he can be the most wonderful person. He would bring me flowers for no reason. He would cook, clean, fix things, and would dote on me all the time.

I feel like I didn't really have a choice but to end it yet feel like I have lost so much that will never be replaced.
There were people around who thought I was ok sober too. In the end, the fact that employers fired me, and friends and family disowned me, those were the things that prompted me to get help.

Last night I was thinking about my 22nd birthday. I was in a town where I had lots of extended family, and I liked them. I was staying in a rather seedy bedsit, but decided to invite them all over for my birthday. I was in my bloody mary stage, a way of drinking and getting vitamins at the same time.

Anyway, start time arrived but no one else did. I rang a few and got some excuses, and we might get there later sort of thing. In the end, not a single person turned up. I was totally miserable about that. Did it harm me? Absolutely not. It was another factor in me getting help.

After that I began living in the parks. There were some semi derelict office buildings in the city that were unsecured. I slept in train carriages. When it was cold, I wrapped up on old newspapers. I didn't eat much. Eating interferes with drinking, and I had very little money anyway. There were no cell phones or internet. I had lost my driving licence and in anycase had drunk away my car. I pawned my electric guitar for a fraction of its value, and sold a radio that I hadnt even paid for. I had one friend that took me in for a short time, but he had to kick me out when I mearly got him evicted. That was the final straw.

I was then ready to do what had to be done to get well. Just like your man, I wasn't a bad person, I was a sick person. When I was willing enough, I was able to find a solution.

Those family folk I mentioned, They are still amazing people. My cousin just spent 6 weeks with me touring Thailand, and thanked me for an amazing time. The solution I found has enabled me to recover all of those things, and have an amazing life.

I sometimes think to myself, what would i do if I lost everything again. Would I drink? I doubt it, because those were the exact conditions in which I was able to recover. Often the best recoveries come from what seems to be the most hopeless situations.