View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
HappyGoLucky1

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I was also the always down to hang/party 'friend' and I had a lot of friends too! You can check my thread history on here and see how this **** gets worse! Make a plan and stick with it.. "no thanks" is all you have to tell your friends and trust me, If you're on the internet looking for advice on this...They likely already know you have a problem and I'm sure some of them do too! Make a plan and work the hell out of it!

Edit: By the way..This is a GREAT site with lots of support and advice! I only wish I'd paid more attention to what I was told when I signed up.
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll try to have a look around and see what I can find on this site.
I've got a spreadsheet called life where I make my plans, my problem is sticking to them :P
To be honest I haven't really made a decent plan recently so I should give it another go.
You're right about people already knowing, I get friends and family occasionally asking me if I think I'm an alcoholic. I usually answer that I'm more of a pisshead, the last mate that got that answer said that he thinks I could quite easily add a raging onto the front of that
I couldn't really argue with that.
I guess it's about making plans and figuring out how to stick to them then. I'll try to start drawing up some plans tomorrow after a good nights sleep. Cheers!

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

It's pretty hard to be a borderline alcoholic. If you're not an alcoholic then you should have no trouble stopping or controlling your drinking. If you cannot stop or control your drinking, then you are likely an alcoholic. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will worsen unless you stop drinking.

I hope you make the decision to stop drinking and to live a sober life.
Hi Anna, and thank you

I guess by that definition then I am an alcoholic? Although I can sometimes stop and control my drinking, I took a month off in November but as soon as the month was over I seemed to make up for it straight away. I came back from a stag do which involved a lot of drinking 5 days ago and have had no desire to drink since then and feel that I'm going to quite easily go another 7 days without drinking now with the plan to take a month off.

The problem is, I like going out and drinking with my friends and I value the good times I have with my friends while out drinking.
At the moment I have no desire to live a totally sober life and want to be able to learn to control my drinking so that I don't need to go to what would feel to me to be like such a drastic measure.

I do appreciate your advice and I hope I don't sound like I'm dismissing it as I am taking it on board but at the moment I want to give moderation a try rather than refusing alcohol altogether. If anybody thinks I'm kidding myself though, feel free to tell me