View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pathwaytofree

It is extremely common.

It's also extremely common for food addiction after bariatric surgery to be transferred to sex addiction from what I've heard and read.

Unfortunately, the medical community is not set up properly to deal with this. You could have the most reputable surgeon and medical team to get you through the surgery and aftercare, but that's not enough when it comes to addiction. Food is an addiction just like drugs or alcohol. There are too many people who think the only real addictions are drugs and alcohol. I wish psychologists who specialized in addiction were required to be a part of the health care professional team of bariatric surgery.

Without psychological/addiction counseling to solve the root cause of your food addiction, it makes sense that take away the food, and the addiction is transferred to something else.

I've also read that alcohol is metabolized much quicker after gastric bypass surgery. I had thought some doctors were saying "no alcohol ever" after bariatric surgery? Also the fact that you have to drink on an empty stomach makes it metabolize quicker, too.

I found this from a google search. It has some very interesting information on the subject:
http://bariatrictimes.com/alcohol-an...ypass-patient/

My heart goes out to you.

I hope you get the help that you need. Good luck.