Notices

Alcoholism after Bariatric Surgery

Old 08-20-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
happyface11112

Alcoholism after Bariatric Surgery

Hi, I had bariatric surgery in 2009. I never drank until 2012. I was not told about addiction transfer. Now, I am an alcoholic. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Are you suggesting the surgery caused your alcoholism? Never heard of that to be honest.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is bariatric surgery?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's very common. Lots of studies done on it.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Weight loss surgery sweetichick
Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here are a few old threads:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-surgery.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-drinking.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lcoholism.html

It seems, for some, there's a correlation - but the treatments the same I think for every alcoholic - stop drinking.

D
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never heard of it before but thanks I'll study up on it. I remember when drug companies said antidepressants couldn't cause alcoholism then a few decades later they admitted it could
Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you talking about transfer of addictions? If so, that's fairly common I believe.

The problem is that addicts tend not to have heathy ways of dealing with life on lifes terms for whatever reason. So, they use 'stuff' in excess to make things better. So, someone with food addictions might eat to exceess. Presumably due to surgery that is not a option any more, but if the addictive thinking is still prevailant then chances are that person will act out in different ways.

I know that when I stopped drinking then other behaviours started becoming more problematic for a while. Then, eventually, once I got a sponsor and really started focussing on my step work and applying it to my daily life, things started getting better because I was more able to cope with dissapointments and celebrations and life generally.

People act out with all kinds of stuff - Relationships (becoming obsessive / compulstive romantically); Sex ; Gambling; Shopping; Eating; Ilegal drugs; Prescribed drugs; Thrill seeking (dangerous or illegal behaviour for the thrill of the adrenaline buzz presumably); and of course, Alcohol.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's an interesting question

Alcoholism after gastric bypass: Is it in your mind or gut? » Scienceline

D
Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know personally of one very clear cut case of this. She had bypass surgery and became fully alcoholic with three DUI arrests, two convictions, and just got out of her third rehab today. Very sad.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is interesting .
BB great explanation which explains a lot in my case . I can overspend ,overeat then feel guilty and become depressed , I get what happyface is saying .
As ive read over and over being sober doesn't mean life is perfect but it is a dam site easier than being drunk .

Happyface its good that you came here and I wish you well .
Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is extremely common.

It's also extremely common for food addiction after bariatric surgery to be transferred to sex addiction from what I've heard and read.

Unfortunately, the medical community is not set up properly to deal with this. You could have the most reputable surgeon and medical team to get you through the surgery and aftercare, but that's not enough when it comes to addiction. Food is an addiction just like drugs or alcohol. There are too many people who think the only real addictions are drugs and alcohol. I wish psychologists who specialized in addiction were required to be a part of the health care professional team of bariatric surgery.

Without psychological/addiction counseling to solve the root cause of your food addiction, it makes sense that take away the food, and the addiction is transferred to something else.

I've also read that alcohol is metabolized much quicker after gastric bypass surgery. I had thought some doctors were saying "no alcohol ever" after bariatric surgery? Also the fact that you have to drink on an empty stomach makes it metabolize quicker, too.

I found this from a google search. It has some very interesting information on the subject:
http://bariatrictimes.com/alcohol-an...ypass-patient/

My heart goes out to you.

I hope you get the help that you need. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Never heard of it before but thanks I'll study up on it. I remember when drug companies said antidepressants couldn't cause alcoholism then a few decades later they admitted it could
Antidepressants can cause alcoholism? I'm curious where you heard/read this.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very common. I know many people with the same story. You just shifted addictions. I am an AA'er and what I believe, is that addiction is addiction - whether you eat it, drink it, screw it, snort it, shoot it etc. We use substances to get out of ourselves and our feelings and to deal with/cope with life. You switched from food to booze. I suggest a 12 step meeting, centered around the big book of AA, to help you.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The person I described in #10, supra, developed a sex addiction too. I guess she's on top of the Bell curve, based on what I'd read in this thread. Tragic story. She's looking at serious jail time if she gets another DUI, and her son is embarrassed by her behavior and wants nothing to do with her.
Side note: her son is showing signs of alcoholism too, at age 21. Very sad outlook for this family.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is Carnie Wilson (of Wilson Phillips) experience with the same situation. I believe it is very common:

Wilson, Carnie Gut Feeling
Old 08-21-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is a thing. There is lots on it if you Google it.
My friend had the surgery, became an alcoholic and died from it. Her Dad also had the surgery and the same thing happened years before her.
Jules
Old 08-21-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyface11112 View Post
Hi, I had bariatric surgery in 2009. I never drank until 2012. I was not told about addiction transfer. Now, I am an alcoholic. Has anyone else experienced this?
I most certainly have, as I have experienced this as well. My Bypass surgery was in 2005, started drinking heavily a few years later and have steadily increased each year thereafter. It's a defect in me, or I know some will call it a disease that I happen to have.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyface11112 View Post
I've read that addiction can increase 30-40% for people post bariatric surgery.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In other words, performing the surgery may very well constitute medical malpractice.